I’m still in the glaze testing mode! Does that EVER end?! I just want the PERFECT glaze combination and PERFECT reduction and PERFECT colours! Actually, I want at least ONE gorgeous piece out of this firing!
So the kiln is stacked. I raised the bottom shelf about 4 inches to see if that makes the lower shelf reach temperature – which it had not done in the past!
This firing started at 9:45 and ended at 10:00pm-so right at 11 hours. I started reduction at 850 degrees celcius – hoping to get reds!
Although I tried to keep the kiln in reduction the whole time, the kiln stalled out at 1250 and then dropped back to 1216. So I added more oxygen and dropped back the reduction.
I did, however, get some good results! I guess that is the way we have to look at it – hoping for at least a few good pieces! Else I’d go crazy with frustration!!!
Here’s a bowl that has been retired. Initially, it was mid-fired to Cone 8 in an electric kiln. I wasn’t happy with the results, so added some glaze and retired it.
Here’s the outside of that bowl – I added a rutile blue to the previously fired glaze.