I was so pumped about this latest gas firing of my kiln! I had new burners and I thought that this would solve all my problems! As of late, I’ve been experiencing 14 hour firings and in some cases, I haven’t reached temperature! So…new burners! Problem solved! NOT!!!
I know that I’m being overly critical of the results, but after all this time, I would have hoped to have consistently good results. So I’ve had to take a good look at what is happening and make some adjustments.
Firstly, I’m still TESTING!!! That is ok and a necessary evil, but not on every piece that I put into the kiln! and the overlapping and combining of glazes that I have no idea how they are going to respond! I have so much glaze on my kiln shelves it is pathetic!
As a result, I did a huge culling of the 36 plus pails of glaze that haunt me. They call to me, USE ME! and I do and I’m always sorry. So they have gone in the tip. I can always make more glaze.
Resolutions for glazing:
1. Only one glaze on the back side of a piece.
2. Only use known glazes on the outside of pieces.
3. Keep overlays to a minimum.
4. Be consistent in my making and glazing until I have good results, then move on.
Sounds so basic and easy when I write it down, but, believe me, I have created monsters out of my clay work!!!
Here are some photos of the results! Be sure to click on the small pic to enlarge it!
All that said, I made a new piece today…NEVER say DIE!!! I will conquer the GLAZE MONSTER!!