It’s so frustrating! I had the copper red thing figured out! and then….nada! All I could get was a pinkish, peach bloom, flambe colour…which I didn’t love.
So I went back to the drawing board and tried to fix anything that I could think of. Here is what I did:
- Fired the bisque in the electric kiln to Cone 06, versus using the gas kiln which fired much quicker and was perhaps not exactly cone 06.
- Moved the burners up into the kiln opening a bit more – leaving a gap of only about 3/4 of an inch. For some reason, they must have slipped or moved down to about 2-3 inches from the opening.
- I added new fiber to the kiln door and made sure there were no leaks.
- I reduced at the primary air and at the flue.
And, presto! Copper Reds are back!